Re: declaring language in html/xhtml

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:12:54 +0900
To: Tex Texin <tex@i18nguy.com>
Cc: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>, www-international@w3.org

At 14:56 04/12/13, Tex Texin wrote:
 >And your points make sense if one can answer the two questions they raise.
 >
 >It's not that I somehow think I need a subtag, its that I don't know that I
 >don't.
 >(Hmm, I hope all those negatives make sense.)

No problem, Japanese has plenty of them.

My point is that if you don't know that you need a subtag, and you
don't know that you don't need a subtag, then don't use a subtag :-).

 >Yes I would like the list to include the subtag combos, but that is a much
 >larger task and probably contains more items that are subject to debate, and I
 >can't commit to that.

In either case, the list most probably will be incomplete.
My guess is that an incomplete list of two-level tags will
cause less damage than an incomplete list of one-level tags.
But in any case, the list should be very clearly labeled as
incomplete.

Regards,    Martin.