RE: Addressing media files: the SMIL video element

Dear Cyril Concolato,

In SMIL The content author has the choice to use one combined audio visual file or separate audio and video files:

<video src="audio-visual.mpeg" />

or

<par>
  <video src="visual.mpeg" />
  <audio src="audio.mp3" />
</par>

Both options have advantage and disadvantages.

Using the latter option and further SMIL interaction functionality the content author can also provide means to the end-user to switch between different language option audio files etc.

For more complex cases of combining vector graphics and audio visual content the content author might want to use SMIL as a container format for SVG and the audio visual content.

<par>
  <video src="visual.mpeg" />
  <audio src="audio.mp3" />
  <image src="graphics.svg" />