Re: What is a language detection algorithm?

KUROSAKA Teruhiko wrote:

> One way to detect/infer a language (and character encoding as a bi-product)
> is use of N-gram.

I've been playing around with n-grams lately, so when I read this
yesterday I wrote a simple language detection engine:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/326576

It doesn't pay attention to the character set, so would see the same
text in significantly different encodings as different languages.

I also discovered  a language guesser by Maciej Ceglowski at

http://languid.cantbedone.org/

the perl source of which is available via:

http://www.idlewords.com/2004/11/source_code_for_language_guesser.htm

I've had a quick look, and it seems to combine a heuristic analysis of
the characters used with a sort of truncated trigram -- the reference is
restricted to the 300 most common combinations in each language.  The
result is probably a lot quicker than a naive n-gram, and perhaps less
susceptible to the noise of authorial voice, register and topic.

regards

Douglas Bagnall