FW: MathML in Arabic

FYI

From: Robert Miner [mailto:RobertM@dessci.com]
Sent: 27 October 2004 23:13
To: ishida@w3.org; Isam.Ayoubi@rubicon.com.jo;
lagally@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de; m.eddahibi@ucam.ac.ma;
lazrek@ucam.ac.ma; k_sami@ucam.ac.ma; Hanane.Naciri@sophia.inria.fr;
Laurence.Rideau@sophia.inria.fr
Cc: robertm@dessci.com; davidc@nag.co.uk
Subject: MathML in Arabic

Hello.

I am writing to ask you to give the World Wide Web Consortium Math Interest
Group the benefit of your expertise in handling mathematics in Arabic, and
more generally in right-to-left languages.

As you all know MathML is a W3C standard for encoding mathematical notation
in XML, and one area that the spec doesn't adequately address is how to deal
with math in right-to-left languages like Arabic.  Most of you have given
talks or written papers on this subject, so I'm sure you don't need me to
explain this to you!

To address this problem, the Math Interest Group would like to try to have a
public discussion of the issues, with the goal of trying to produce some
sort of official document describing how MathML in Arabic should work.
Perhaps this could be a W3C Note, or perhaps a new version of the MathML
spec as appropriate.

I've just made a posting to this effect on the W3C public mailing list for
MathML,

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-math/2004Oct/0028.html

If you are willing to take the time to participate in the discussion, and
help the Math Interest Group with this project, we would greatly appreciate
it.  To subscribe to the list, visit

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-math

and follow the link.

Thanks,

--Robert

Dr. Robert Miner                                RobertM@dessci.com
W3C Math Interest Group Co-Chair                      651-223-2883
Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com