Re: New test for review: Bidi misc

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 09:29:33 +0900
To: Simon Montagu <smontagu@smontagu.org>
Cc: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, GEO <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>, www-international@w3.org

At 01:36 04/10/08 +0200, Simon Montagu wrote:

>My reasoning is similar to David Baron's : since the title is being
>displayed in the context of the window manager, it is natural to read it
>in the directionality of the desktop as a whole, especially since the
>title bar typically contains additional text, e.g.
>[bahrain @@@@@ kuwait] - Mozilla.
>For the same reason, I question whether Opera really fails the tooltip
>test, since it displays the title preceded by "Title:", thus placing it in
>an overall left-to-right context.

Sorry, but I still don't buy it. I don't see my version of Opera
putting "Title:" at the start, but say it did, and overall, the
title bar looked something like this:

     Title: My New Homepage - Opera

where "My New Homepage" came from <title>My New Homepage</title>.
Now let's take an example that, as in the BIDI spec, uses
upper case for RTL, as it appears logically in the source:

     <title dir='rtl'>WE FLEW FROM tokyo TO KAIRO.</title>

It seems very clear to me that the above sentence, should be rendered

and not

and that this applies even if we put it into the title bar as

     Title: .ORIAK OT tokyo MORF WELF EW - Opera

Regards,   Martin.