DOCTYPE international languages ID

From: by way of Martin Duerst <tsucre@chooseby.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:29:12 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org

Dear Sirs,

I need to paste
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//IT">
for specifying the Italian language of our site.

Your Validator tool recognize following:
The DOCTYPE Declaration in your document was not recognized. This probably
means
that the Formal Public Identifier contains a spelling error, or that the
Declaration is not using correct syntax. Validation has been performed using a
default "fallback" Document Type Definition that closely resembles HTML 4.01
Transitional, but the document will not be Valid until you have corrected the
problem with the DOCTYPE Declaration.

Can you please tell me what is really wrong and what I need to specify for:
italian
german
spanish
french