Re: language negotiation and search engines

Koen Holtman (by way of Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>) wrote:

> Servers or URLs that do not implement transparent content negotiation can
> still return Alternates headers to give hints to search engines (even if
> the language variants are not available under different URLs, as is
> required by transparent content negotiation, but all just under one top
> level URL), but I doubt if that is used much, if at all.
>

> Hope this helps,
it does, thanks koen!

I think for the cms I'm implementing I cannot just rely on
accept-language and cookie sessions but have to give additional urls to
the language variants, even if every object included in a page retrieved
by its language specific url (by a client that does not support cookies
and does not send a usable accept-language header like a search engine)
will lead again to a http-300 response.

cheers,
reto