RE: faq suggestions

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:31:15 +0100
To: <www-international@w3.org>
Cc: <kyknos@gmail.com>

I just returned from vacation and read this thread, which is interesting
because we have a GEO participant about to develop a test for just this
scenario.  Any suggestions for how that test should look are welcome.

The original question was:

"shoudl meta tag with information about used charset be placed before or
after the  title element?"

The reasons I think I see in the thread for using charset meta before title
are:

1.	reduces likelihood of parser getting out of synch and not
recognising <meta>

2.	improves performance given that the document is likely to be
reparsed

I'll add another: It's easier to do visual inspections, if you need to, when
it appears early. (I find myself looking for the charset declaration very
often to help out people who have page encoding problems.)

RI