Re: UTF-8 recommendation [Was: a few problems in O-charset-lang.html]

From: Jungshik Shin <jshin@i18nl10n.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 02:27:28 +0900
To: kuro@sonic.net
Cc: www-international@w3.org, public-i18n-geo@w3.org

Jungshik Shin wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, KUROSAKA Teruhiko wrote:

>>to invest.  From this experiment, I have to sadly conclude
>>that UTF-8 is not for prime time use as an e-mail encoding.
>

>   As long as your recipients use modern email clients instead of
> relying on 'stupid, out-of-date' web mail services, UTF-8 is
> perfectly fine. Unfortunately, there are a lot of web mail
> users. My rule of thumb is to use UTF-8 except when sending to
> web mail users.

I forgot to note that Qualcomm Eudora doesn't count as a modern email
client. It's ironic that some employees of Qualcomm took part in writing
MIME-related RFCs, but Eudora's support of MIME (especially on Windows)
is poor at best. Perhaps, Qualcomm is big enough to have communication
barriers sprinkled all over the company.

Jungshik