Re: JSP page directive contentType overriden by Apache tomcat?

From: by way of Martin Duerst <jshin@mailaps.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:03:13 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org

KUROSAKA Teruhiko wrote:

>I see, so it's setLocale() that implicitly sets charset.
>That reminded me of my surprise when I read the servlet 2.3
>spec draft for the first time two years ago.  I wasn't
>comfortable with the idea of using  the locale to determine
>the charset.  I voiced this opinion to the spec lead
>but it was too late.

When I read Paul's and Addison's replies about setLocale() setting the
character encoding, I thought exactly the same way as you. The relation
between locales and character encodings are never 1:1. As such, IMHO, it's
a (classic) bad design (unfortunately, still widespread. Hotmail, Yahoo
mail and other web mail services are prime example of this.) to pretend
that it is and to tie a locale to a particular character encoding.
Especially considering that what JSP _usually_ emits (html, xml)  can
represent the full repertoire of Unicode character set (I have NCRs in
mind), I'm surprised to find that setLocale() sets the character encoding.
Anyway,  making 'contentType' page directive take the precedence over
setLocale() when it comes to setting the character encoding mostly solved
the issue in the servlet 2.4.

Jungshik