displaying Chinese and Thai characters

From: Kenneth <kmei1388@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 03:37:13 -0500
To: www-international@w3.org

chinese char in mysql
----

hi,

i am new in mysql. now i am trying to insert and retrieve chinese character
into mysql by using Java. question mark(?) show up in the table. i am using
Varchar to store the chinese character. when retrieving, question mark shows
also.

at first, i thought mysql cann't support chinese character. but it's
impossible to say so because there are so many web site using mysql to
display chinese character.

i am now develope a window application. now i can connect my window
application to mysql. i am using big5 to insert the chinese char.

Can anyone plz tell me what steps i am missing? what should i do or
configure to make the chinese character to display and store in proper
format?

kmei1388@hotmail.com