RE: New FAQ for review: Setting charset information in .htaccess

Hi Addison,

Actually the question intentionally specific because I am often asked exactly that.  Your suggestion is a good topic for another FAQ, but would require a much broader answer.

> 2. I would always quote "charset" when used in the text to
> make clear that it is a synonym for character encoding.

Perhaps I should make the link earlier.

> 3. For this paragraph:
>
> <quot>In both cases we will assume that files would be served
> using ISO-8859-1 by default, but that you want to serve your
> file or files using UTF-8 (a very sensible strategy!)</quot>
>
> I would spell out what's going on a little better and note
> that option of administering the server as a whole somewhere
> more prominent than the background. Perhaps:
>
> "Many Apache servers are configured to send files using the
> ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1) encoding. In the examples below, we'll
> assume that you want to serve your file or files using a
> different encoding (such as Unicode UTF-8: a very sensible
> strategy!). To do this you will either need to get the server
> administrator to modify the default encoding (which will
> affect all of the content served by the server) or modify the
> .htaccess file."

I think this is opening up the question beyond what I intended. See above.

> 4. Several places you say: "although these declare both the
> character encoding and the MIME type at the same time." You
> need to explain somewhere why this might be a concern. For
> example, you might offer the example of the extension .utf8
> and point out that one file could be 'foo.html.utf8' and
> another one 'boo.xml.utf8'

Mmm. Maybe I should do that.

> 5. You should also note what happens when two extension rules
> apply to the same document? (i.e. note that extension order
> matters) So:
>
>   AddCharset UTF-8 .utf8
>   AddCharset windows-1252 .html
>
> The file 'foo.utf8.html' will be served as "windows-1252" and
> 'foo.html.utf8' as UTF-8.

Yes.

> 6. Section "by the way": You say that you may not want to
> serve the encoding information sometimes, but you don't spell
> out how to turn it off.

Yes, I was thinking of adding just such a section, but to be honest I wasn't sure enough of how you do do that.  RemoveType in Apache 1.x just reinstates the default, from what I can tell.  I can't see a way to actually remove the encoding information.  In Apache 2.x there is the RemoveCharset directive that seems to do the job, but I didn't have a way to test its behaviour properly.  If anyone can give clear advice on this I'd appreciate it.

> 7. You might want to mention the "choosing an encoding"
> tutorial more prominently (in the body)??

Choosing or declaring?