Traditional Chinese in RFC3066 bis

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:48:14 +0100
To: <www-international@w3.org>

Tex raised a question on IRC about how to represent Traditional Chinese in RFC3066 bis[1]:

 	"I thought zh-TW would become zh-hant-TW, not just zh-hant"

My understanding is that if you want to say just Traditional Chinese (without specifying which specific language you are representing) you would continue to use zh-Hant.  This would probably apply for most web pages or translations.

The meaning of zh-Hant-TW is not clear to me.  Does it mean a Taiwanese version of the script (as opposed, say, to a Hong Kong version of Traditional Chinese which may include different characters); or does it mean the language of Chinese as spoken in Taiwan and written with Traditional Chinese characters?  If so, how would that differ from zh-TW?

I could imagine the latter scenario being represented more intuitively as zh-TW-Hant, although I think that is not legal according to RFC 3066 bis.

Addison, Mark, help !

RI

Richard Ishida
W3C