Re: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup

From: <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:33:32 -0500
To: Jungshik Shin <jshin@i18nl10n.com>
Cc: unicode@unicode.org, www-international@w3.org

Jungshik Shin scripsit:

>   Absolutely. The multi-level representability of Korean script
> demonstrates its 'advanced' status as a script (invented only 5.5
> centuries ago, it  must have been able to build upon more than 2,000
> year's history of writing system), but at the same time, has been a
> continuous source of "trouble" because it's hard to agree on which level
> to use.

OT question: is Korean script to some degree the product of stimulus diffusion
from Indic script of any sort?  By "stimulus diffusion" I mean the reinvention
of a cultural concept (in this case, alphabetic writing) as a result of hearing
that some other culture has the concept, but without any details.

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing