RE: [i18n-html-tech] some comments

I think that some of the examples Bert has brought up show that
we have to make sure that the guidelines don't just assume everybody
is in the same situation.

Some people control their server and want to be flexible with transcoding.
For others, things will work much better if the document says what encoding
it's in. I hope the guidelines can allow both, and make clear in each
case what's needed.

Similar for stylesheets. Some people want stylesheets that cover as
many languages as possible (e.g. for things such as tech manuals,...).
Even if adaptions for each language are necessary, they want to
keep as much as possible in common. Others may want to create
completely different styles for each language, even e.g. for
English and French. If we help people to understand what they
need for their case, that's great. If we assume we know what they
need, and we assume it's always the same, it won't get us very far.

Regards,    Martin.