RE: [i18n-html-tech] some comments

Bert Bos wrote:
> But if you can't
> put the language-dependent aspects of a document in the style
> sheet, where *can* you put them?

You should be able to put them with the actual language, in the document
itself.

I don't really disagree with most of your points, but I couldn't resist
nailing that one.

Practically speaking, it's true that CSS is not sufficiently
internationalized to create completely language-independent style sheets.
And it's not necessarily a failure of CSS, there are aspects -- such as bold
being inappropriate in some scripts that you mention -- that would make it
akward at best.

But for 'left/right' vs 'start/end' (not 'before/after'), I take sides with
the WD: using the less language-dependent ones makes the style sheet easier
to localize, even though it cannot be made fully language-independent in
practice.

> the titles are images in the style sheet and thus the
> translations disappear;

And that is supposed to be good practice?

--
François