RE: Re: Mojibake on my Web pages

Doug, I'm wondering whether your company uses Apache servers and just
upgraded them.  Apparently the latest upgrade serves all files by
default as ISO 8859-1 unless otherwise specified - which may account for
your mojibake.

I'm no expert on these matters, but I believe that on an Apache server
one can set the default to utf-8 for all files.  Alternatively, you can
serve files in a given directory and its subdirectories as utf-8 (or any
other encoding) by adding a file called .htaccess the directory in
question.  The .htaccess file should contain

AddType 'text/html; charset=UTF-8' html

This says, serve all files with an html ending as text/html with the
encoding utf-8.

You can do this on a file by file basis too. For example, if there was a
file in the directory you wanted to serve as iso-8859-1, you could add
the following to the .htaccess file.

<Files ~ "Overview\.html">
ForceType 'text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1'
</Files>

For additional information, and other servers, see
http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset.html

Hope this is of some help,
RI

Richard Ishida
W3C

contact info: http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://www.w3.org/International/geo/

See the W3C Internationalization FAQ page
http://www.w3.org/International/questions.html