Re: script faq suggestions

Alexander, thanks for the comments.

With respect to Kazakh, I don't see why it should be removed. There is no
conflict with the statements you provided. Languages can be written
historically in more than one script. That table is identifying languages that
were written in RTL scripts, but doesn't preclude their being written in other
scripts as well. Note the introduction to the table and the footnote.

I will add a footnote to Turkmen.

As for references, I compiled the table by looking at several sources and
consulting some scripts experts. The online sources are listed. I'll add the
hardcopy sources to the reference list.

Just BTW, I did find disagreements among the sources. Also, there are often
differences between what the official script of a region is and the choices and
abilities among the population, making it difficult to know which is being
referred to, official or popular. There is also variability where a culture is
distributed across several countries.

Tex

Alexander Savenkov wrote:

> Hello everyone, Tex,
>
> a couple of corrections for the Script direction & languages FAQ found
> at http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-scripts.html .
>
> In the example table at
> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-scripts.html#examples
> you list Kazakh and Turkmen languages as being written in Arabic.
>
> Please note that Kazakh language uses Cyrillic nowadays. Although you
> mention that it "was historically written in the listed script, but
> uses another script in modern practice", it depends on what you call
> "historically". You could say that it was historically written in
> Latin (from 1923 till late 1940s) equally well. The switch to Latin is
> currently debated but is not accepted yet. Thus I suggest removing
> Kazakh from the table.
>
> On the other hand you make no comments for the Turkmen language. The
> situation with Turkmen is as follows: Arabic script before 1923, from
> 1923-1924 till 1939-1940 - Latin script, from 1940 till 1994 -
> Cyrillic script, from 1994 till nowadays - Latin script.
>
> Lastly, Tex, could you point us to the exact source of the information
> in the table so that we don't refer to it anymore?
>
> Best regards,
> Alex.
> --
>   Alexander "Croll" Savenkov                  http://www.thecroll.com/