Re: Form submission when successful controls contain characters outside the submission character set

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:41:10 -0400
To: Jungshik Shin <jshin@i18nl10n.com>
Cc: kuro@sonic.net, www-international@w3.org

Jungshik Shin scripsit:

> > It should put charset=UTF-8 in Content-Type header.

>   Obviously, we can't do that for GET(there's no C-T header for
> GET. Currently MS IE and Mozilla use a proprieatary '_charset_' for this
> purpose only when the hidden field of '_charset_' is present in the form).

IMHO this should be documented and treated as best practice.  Browsers should
not of course invoke a new charset unless they have to.  In this way, the server
can recover from the garbling by treating what it gets as octets and doing its
own character decoding.

One art / There is                      John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
No less / No more                       http://www.reutershealth.com
All things / To do                      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
With sparks / Galore                     -- Douglas Hofstadter