Re: Form submission when successful controls contain characters outside the submission character set

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:41:10 -0400
To: Jungshik Shin <jshin@i18nl10n.com>
Cc: kuro@sonic.net, www-international@w3.org

Jungshik Shin scripsit:

> > It should put charset=UTF-8 in Content-Type header.

>   Obviously, we can't do that for GET(there's no C-T header for
> GET. Currently MS IE and Mozilla use a proprieatary '_charset_' for this
> purpose only when the hidden field of '_charset_' is present in the form).

IMHO this should be documented and treated as best practice.  Browsers should
not of course invoke a new charset unless they have to.  In this way, the server
can recover from the garbling by treating what it gets as octets and doing its
own character decoding.

--
One art / There is                      John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
No less / No more                       http://www.reutershealth.com