Re: what should the charset be in the response to the server

From: Chris Haynes <chris@harvington.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 17:38:19 +0100
To: <www-international@w3.org>

Second comment on same  mail ....

At Thursday, August 07, 2003 4:43 PM Martin Durst commented:

> I think it is a good idea to both say accept-charset="UTF-8" in
> the FORM element AND make sure the page is sent out as UTF-8
> (and check that the data is UTF-8 when it comes back).
> The reason for this is that support for accept-charset on the
> FORM element has picked up only recently; some fairly new
> browsers may not honor it.

In another list we have been collecting informal experiences of this

It appeared as if all the 'current' browsers supported the following

    With accept-charset="UTF-8" set in the page, UTF-8 was correctly
used in _both_ GET and POST requests.

Some of the browsers were also given a page encoded in something other
than UTF-8, but given the 'accept-charset="UTF-8" form attribute -
which they again handled correctly.

Would it be too much to hope that all browsers which claim HTTP/4.01
compatibility are doing this correctly?

It would be interesting to hear of any 'systematic and rigorous' test
reports on this.