Re: what should the charset be in the response to the server

From: Chris Haynes <chris@harvington.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 17:20:49 +0100
To: <www-international@w3.org>

 "Martin Duerst" Replied:

> At 12:15 03/07/26 +0100, Chris Haynes wrote:
>
> >  "Jungshik Shin" replied at: Saturday, July 26, 2003 11:31 AM
>
> > >   It also depends on whether or not you set 'send URLs always in
> >UTF-8' in
> > > Tools|Options(?) in MS IE.
> > >

> >True, but I'm trying to find a 'reliable' mechanism which is not
> >dependent on user-accessible controls.
> >IMHO, this is also a 'dangerous' option, in that it goes agains the
de
> >facto conventions and anticipates (parhaps incorrectly) the
> >recommendations of the proposed IRI RFC. It can only safely be used
> >with a 'consenting' server site.
>
> Sorry, no. The main dangerous thing is that authors use non-ASCII
> characters in URIs (without any %HH escaping) when this is clearly
> forbidden.
>
> Regards,  Martin.

Martin,

Are you saying that you approve of relying on users to select the
(Microsoft-specific)  'send URLs always in
UTF-8'  menu option  to ensure that UTF8 gets returned to the server?

That is what was being suggested.

My argument was that any current HTTP-like system in which the
character encoding could be modified by menu controls in the user
agent, (and in which the actual encoding used is *not* conveyed in the
request) was inherently unreliable.

Chris