Re: Can servlet know the timezone of the browser?

From: Mark Davis <mark.davis@jtcsv.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:14:11 -0700
To: <www-international@w3.org>, "KOFF,CAROLINE \(HP-FtCollins,ex1\) \(by way of Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>\)" <caroline.koff@hp.com>

Funny, I was just talking to someone about that 2 minutes ago on the

Unfortunately, that is a gap in the current protocol. While the
accept-language is returned from the browser, you can't get the
timezone. And actually what you need is the Olson ID, so that you can
do proper daylight savings also.

What you can do is use javascript on the client side to probe the
system and figure out which of the Olson IDs is applicable, then
communicate that to the server. Very clumsy, but possible.

►  “Eppur si muove” ◄