RE: question

From: Jungshik Shin <jshin@mailaps.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 09:00:35 -0400 (EDT)
To: Michael Jansson <mjan@em2-solutions.com>
cc: "'Salih Karadayi'" <salihkaradayi@superonline.com>, <www-international@w3.org>

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Michael Jansson wrote:

> From: Salih Karadayi [mailto:salihkaradayi@superonline.com]

> can I show Arabic or Russian fonts everybody in internet succesfully. I want
> to set up a multilanguage web site. This site contains Latin, Arabic and
> Crylic. These languages are: Arabic, Azeri, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Deutsch,

> How can I show all these languages succesfully. I don't know all iso codes
> of these languages and also language codes (exm. Turkish=TR but Urdu ???)
> and standard fonts. For example can I use "Traditional Arabic" in Arabic
> languages. ect. Please help me immediately. Sincerely,

One thing you can do to help browsers select good fonts for scripts
of your interest is to specify langauge tags (html lang and xml:lang)
in your documents. Needless to say, you'd better make all your processings
in terms of  Unicode.

[ long and detailed answer snipped...]

> To find suitable fonts, search the web (e.g. use Google).

  One of good places where you'll find a lot of useful fonts supporting
various subsets of Unicode is http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/

  BTW, complex script support (Brahmi-derived scripts of South
and Southeast Asia, Arabic/Hebrew and Korean) is highly platform
and browser dependent. For instance, there's a BIG difference between
Win9x/ME and Win2k/XP.

  Jungshik