RE: Why is UTF8 not being taken up in Asia Pacific for Public Websites?

From: Kurosaka, Teruhiko <Teruhiko.Kurosaka@iona.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 15:00:41 -0400
To: "Jungshik Shin" <jshin@mailaps.org>
Cc: "LUNDER,BEN (HP-Australia,ex3)" <ben.lunder@hp.com>, <www-international@w3.org>, "PETERSON,MARK (HP-Boise,ex1)" <mark.peterson@hp.com>

Mr. Jungshik Shin,

>   I'm not sure what was meant by 'UTF-8 being used at the web
> browser level'.
> Most, if not all, browsers **do** use Unicode (in one form or
> another) as
> their internal character representation. Otherwise, it's all
> but impossible
> to deal with bewildering arrays of legacy encodings out in the wild.

Netscape browser was supporting many legacy encodings
before Unicode became popular.  I don't think  use of Unicode
is necesity to support legacy code set, although it would make
the internal design much easier.

>  What internal character representation is used by web
> browsers has little,
> if any, to do with UTF-8's acceptance in Japan as a MIME charset
> for the web publication.

That's true.

> > but then displayed as a Yen sign on a Japanese system :-(.
>
>   This is actually not a feature but a *bug* of Japaense and Korean
> fonts included in MS Windows. Unicode Cmaps in those truetype fonts

You may call it a bug.  But the reality is there are such many implementations
that display U+005C that you cannot simply ignore, and they won't go away
soon.

Thank you for explaining how Mozila handles characters.

T. "Kuro" Kurosaka
Internationalization Architect
teruhiko.kurosaka@iona.com
*** Address and Phones changed on 2003-6-13 ***
IONA Technologies
Techmart Center, Suite 320
5201 Great America Pkwy
Santa Clara, CA 95054