Re: Multilingual *.css

Hi

On Tue 04-Feb-2003 at 09:54:30AM +0100, Mohammed Omer Yousif Brigdar
wrote:

> I use the IE Version 6, and I want to edit MyCSS.css so that
> different charsets and font-families from many languages are
> included, e.g. japanese, russian, sawahili, arabic, chinese and
> indian.

IE doesn't support the lang pseudo-class:

  html:lang(de) {
  font-family: "German Sans";
  }

  http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/selector.html#lang

Nor these kind of selectors:

  html[lang|="de"] {
  font-family: "German Sans";
  }

  http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/selector.html#attribute-selectors

So one of the only options is to create a class for each language,
eg:

  .de {
  font-family: "German Sans";
  }

> Also I want to use right-to-left for languages that have the
> right-to-left feature.

I have found that the dir attribute is only really necessary for
things that have no specific direction, eg the seperators for a
bread-crumb trail like this:

  You are here: English Doc > Urdu Doc > Urdu Doc > English Doc

In the above example the two Urdu documents will be in the wrong
order unless dir is set on the >, ie:

  <bdo dir="ltr">&gt;</bdo>

Chris

--