Re: Commonly used fonts for multiscript CSS

On Tuesday, April 15, 2003, 5:43:51 PM, Lloyd wrote:

LH> I did a little research on this last week, specifically with Japanese.
LH> I checked out several Japanese web sites and was surprised to find that
LH> hardly anyone specified a font in the HTML or in the CSS.  It seems
LH> that unlike in the US where we commonly specify Arial, Helvetica, etc.
LH> the East Asian markets let the browsers choose the appropriate fonts
LH> for the script, either using user preferences or defaults.

LH> The reason I did this was a customer wanted to know what fonts to
LH> specify for some Japanese web pages.  As I recall, the only sites I saw
LH> the specified fonts were www.microsoft.com/japan (which specified
LH> Arial!) and www.apple.co.jp which specified a Japanese font with a
LH> Japanese name that, as far as I know, is specific to the Mac.

For SVG, I was recommended a list of suitable fonts by some of the
Japanese members of the SVG WG. About half of the font names were in
Japanese, although they may well have been the original names of which
the English font names were translations.

I can look out a sample file, if people are interested.