Re: Paragraph and line separators

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 12:52:57 -0400
To: Ernest Cline <ernestcline@mindspring.com>
Cc: www-international@w3.org

Ernest Cline scripsit:

> Recently there has been discussion on the www-html list about whether
> making use of the paragraph and line separator characters U+2029 and
> U+2028 instead of <p> and <l> elements in XHTML2 would be a good idea.

In XML 1.1, which is currently in CR, all U+2028 characters are mapped
to LF by the parser..  It would therefore be unwise for XHTML 2.0 to assign a meaning
to them other than that of whitespace.

U+2029 is left alone in XML 1.1 character content, in the anticipation that
it *might* be used as some kind of markup.  I take no position on whether
or not that is a Good Thing.

--
All Norstrilians knew what laughter was:        John Cowan
it was "pleasurable corrigible malfunction".    http://www.reutershealth.com