Re: IRIs and XLink/XPointer spec

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 01:19:09 -0500 (EST)
To: duerst@w3.org (Martin Duerst)
Cc: w3c-xml-linking-wg@w3.org, www-international@w3.org, michelsu@MICROSOFT.com (Michel Suignard)

Martin Duerst scripsit:

> I would like to invite you to www-international@w3.org (a publicly
> archived list, crossposted) to express your input on why
> IRIs should include the above characters (<, >, {, }, |, \, ^, `,
> and SPACE), or to tell us that you would be fine with a change
> back to excluding these characters.

Speaking for myself only, I'd like to see IRIs allowed to contain all of
these directly except SPACE.  I think the issues with the others (ISO 646
variants, bad EBCDIC translation tables) have more or less gone away now.

Perhaps < and > should still be kept out for the sake of using them as
delimiters; I don't feel strongly about it one way or the other.

I think SPACE in IRIs (as opposed to %20) is a bogon, and shouldn't be
allowed, the xpointer() scheme notwithstanding.  The other schemes do
not require it.

--
John Cowan    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan   <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    "Any legal document draws most of its meaning from context.  A telegram