Re: http status code for site blocked

John, I will google for transborder data flows as soon as I get to an
uncensored (or less censored anyway) outlet.
Not much point wasting time clicking on links that may be censored.

Meanwhile I am planning to break out all my 60's protest paraphernalia
when I get home and try to begin a "Free XenCraft.com Now" movement.
If you would all just add that slogan to your sigs... ;-)

(Actually, I am still not sure the problem is censorship, although
others have reported the site works fine. The problem may yet prove to
be something unrelated.)

tex

John Cowan wrote:

> Tex Texin scripsit:
>
> > I can't speak for censors but I don't see why they would want to hide
> > the service they are providing...
>
> I take it that this is unmarked irony.
>
> The "services" provided by censors to the would-be recipients of censored
> information are on all fours with those provided by blackmailers.
>
> > And I understand why you say that the problems I mentioned might be
> > unimportant to censors, but to the extent that the process cannot
> > possibly be one of informed review of each site or page, perhaps they
> > would want to be aware of mistakes that might in fact be hurting Chinese
> > businesses by preventing them to access information that would benefit
> > them.
>
> >From which we conclude that protecting the interests of Chinese business
> is not the first priority of the Chinese government, whatever may be the
> case for other governments.
>
> > However, to keep the focus on the web, having many links broken on the
> > web by blocking, without awareness or a process for rectification,
> > implies then that the "single application" model doesn't work. It will
> > be even more problematic for web services.
>
> Transborder data flows are a very political and legal subject with an
> extensive literature, to which I would refer you if I knew anything about it.
> (That is the phrase, though, so try googling for "transborder data flows".)
> Suffice it to say that many governments have concerns about both incoming
> and outgoing data, not excepting Western democracies.
>
> --
> He made the Legislature meet at one-horse       John Cowan
> tank-towns out in the alfalfa belt, so that     jcowan@reutershealth.com
> hardly nobody could get there and most of       http://www.reutershealth.com
> the leaders would stay home and let him go      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
> to work and do things as he pleased.    --Mencken, _Declaration of Independence_

Making e-Business Work Around the World