Re: "#" in IRI references

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:40:15 -0400 (EDT)
To: duerst@w3.org (Martin Duerst)
Cc: mike@skew.org (Mike Brown), www-international@w3.org

Martin Duerst scripsit:

> Can it? It can't in an URI. Well, checking the syntax in the interim
> draft (http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/draft-duerst-iri.txt),
> I found
>
>   ichar          = << allowed character of the UCS [ISO10646] >> |
>                    space | idelims | unwise
>
>   idelims        = "<" | ">" | "#" | "%" | <">
>
> This is definitely a good catch! Actually, further down in that interim
> draft, I found:
>
> 8. Change log
>
>     Changes from -01 to -02
>
>     -  Removed '%' @@@@ and '#'@@@@ from delims.
>
> The @@@@ is a sign that this still has to happen.
> So I just made it happen, and updated the draft.
> There are some other loose ends that will be
> tied up soon, but this was definitely the biggest
> one.

It looks to me like "idelims" are things that should *not* appear in
IRIs.  They have to be delimitable by something, and <> brackets and
double quotes are appropriate.

The name "idelims" (international delimiters) also suggests this.

--
A mosquito cried out in his pain,               John Cowan
"A chemist has poisoned my brain!"              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan