Re: glyph selection for Unicode in browsers

From: by way of Martin Duerst <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:59:50 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org

Quoting Peter_Constable@sil.org:

 > But should there not be some (possibly user-overridable) relationship
 > between an NLS or similar tag (e.g. "lang" in HTML or xml:lang) and one of
 > these so that a browser or word-processing app that knows what "language"
 > (e.g. what RFC 3066 tag) is applied to the data can tell the
 > layout/rendering sub-system what OT "language-system" tags to apply
 > (assuming some API exists to do so)? Surely that is where we want to move
 > toward.

I think the idea is that, in a word processor for example, something
like 'Typographic system' would be set by the user as an independent layout
control, not directly linked to 'language'. This enables the user to select a
language to use for sorting, spellchecking, etc. (character level text
handling), and separately select a set of typographic conventions (glyph level
text display).

I suppose some developers may choose to pursue the direction you suggest, e.g.
relating default typographic conventions to the user's language setting.

I just make the fonts :)

John Hudson