Re: glyph selection for Unicode in browsers

From my own experience dealing with similar problems, this is what I have to
say

1. We need a font like "Tahoma" on XP/WIN2k ( font with Unicode cmap
and limited glyph sets)  on all the platforms, where application can set
font to Tahoma and pass in any Unicode strings. Once font is set to Tahoma,
operating system will go ahead and pick the right font for the missing
glyphs. So this font name can be mentioned in the HTML pages.

2. There is a way to specify "Typographic preference" to handle CJK in the
API level while rendering the text using the font in step 1. ( Right now it
goes to default operating system script in certain systems)

3. Browser should take the accept language or other application preference
to set the appropriate "typographic preference" for choosing the right fall
back font by the OS.

Unfortunately we are still missing some nuts and bolts .

-Vinod