Others are a bit of a mystery. Take table borders for example. Someone
starts with example #1 below, and wants to replace the attribute
"border='1'" with CSS.

He first thinks that #2 would give the same result (in IE, for
example):

Nope, because #1 has lines around the cells, and #2 doesn't. So he
tries:

Not quite the same either, since #1 has a 'ridge' effect, which is
missing in the new one. Trying different combinations, he might be
lead to:

But that looks very bizarre; both the table and each cell are
outlined. He can't get them to collapse together. He is about to give
up and keep the original attributes; trying to figure out what works
in CSS is too painful. But at last, he stumbles upon:

It would make migration to CSS a whole lot easier if there were a
table somewhere on the W3C site that showed people the exact
correspondences without everyone having to stumble along and guess!

Mark
http://www.macchiato.com
◄  “Eppur si muove” ►