Unicode handling in Java running on Windows 98/95

From: souravm <souravm@infy.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:25:00 +0530
To: <www-international@w3.org>
Hi All,

Here is one doubt regarding character conversion in Java.

So far as I know all the strings in Java are in Unicode. So strings in
any other encoding will be converted to Unicode in Java.
For example I may have a file which has strings written in Shift_JIS. I
can user InputStreaReader to read this file specifying that encoding for
strings in this file is Shift_JIS. So when I created a Java string which
holds a string in this file, that Java string will be in Unicode which
is converted from Shift_JIS.

Now this is all ok if underlying OS supports Unicode. But how this
concept work if the underlying OS itself does not support Unicode, like
Windows 95, Windows 98 ?

In that case is it always better not to do any conversion of encoding in
Java classes running in Windows 98 ?

Please comment.

Regards,
Sourav