Re: How browser sents UTf-8 data in request

souravm wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I've a doubt regarding browser's working
>
>Let us assume that I've a HTML form shown in a browser. The response
>which created this form had contect type set as UTF-8 at the header.
>Hence, if I check the emcoding through the tool bar of browser it is
>coming as UTF-8.
>This browser is running on Windows 2K whose current locale is Japanese.
>The Windows 2k has IME support.
>Now if I enter a japanese string in one text box of this form and submit
>the form my understanding is -
>1. The input data will be actually in Shift_JIS (or the codepage used
>for Japanese locale by the Windows 2K).

how can you know which encoding is for the "input data" ? untill the
data is store in somewhere, you don't know what the encoding IS. Using a
Japanese locale under windows 2K only mean the ACP is in Shift_JIS. It
does not mean the Input Method is communicate with the text box in
Shift_JIS neither mean the text box is in Shift_JIS.

>2. The browser will convert this string from Shift_JIS to UTF-8 before
>sending it to the server.

That is because your FORM is in UTF-8, right ?

>3. In the server if I call the method getCharacterEncodingType of
>request object it will show me UTF-8.
>
>Can anyone please verify whether above conclusions/understandings are
>proper or not ?

1. too many variables here.
a. what is the encoding of your FORM? shift_jis?
b. which browser are you using ? IE3 ? IE4? IE5 ? IE5 on Mac? Netscape
1.x? Netscape 2.x ? Netscape 3.x? Netscape 4.x? Netscape 6.x? Opera ?f
c. what is getCharacterEncodingType ??? is that part of a particular
software package ?