Re: UTF-8 supporting Japanese characters

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:19:44 +0100
To: "souravm" <souravm@infy.com>
CC: www-international@w3.org
On Friday, January 25, 2002, 11:49:07 AM, souravm wrote:

s> Hi All,

>>From some source I came to know that UTF-8 does not support some
s> Japanese charcaters. Just wanted to verify this point. Is it true ?

Suppose you make up a new Japanese glyph to represent your name. That
is perfectly legal - it happens for new emperors, for example.
Naturally, any version of unicode published before that date will not
have this new character.

But that is rather lie saying "I understand the Complete and
Unabridged Oxford English Dictionary does not list all English words,
fnowdwaffle" where fnordwaffle is a word whose first literary
occurence was in this email.

Its true, logically, but does not say very much.

Turning once again to Japanese, Unicode 3.1.1 has quite a lot of
japanese characters. Looking at the Unihan data file and searching for
kIRG_JSource shows 13,119 occurences, drawn from JIS X 0208-1990, JIS
X 0212-1990, JIS X 0213-2000, JIS X 0213-2000 and Unified Japanese IT
Vendors Contemporary Ideographs, 1993.

Plus of course Hiragana, Katakana, number forms, punctuation, etc.

All of these can be represented in UTF-8 and in UTF-16.