Re: Internationalization & Localization guidelines/checklists

From: Tex Texin <texin@progress.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 03:38:28 -0500
To: www-international@w3.org, NE Localization SIG <nelocsig@egroups.com>
Thanks for the responses. Here is the list of items that were sent to
me, plus a couple others I found. Some of the sites require you to
register which I find very annoying. I am just reporting the list of
suggestions I received, I am not endorsing any particular doc. I think
it will depend on your level of experience and the technologies you use,
as to which have value for you.

I hope these do have value for you.
tex

From Kano's book (It is still online, just hard to find.):

testing checklist
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/books/devintl/S24B1_g.HTM
win32 checklist
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/books/devintl/S24AC.HTM

From Tiziana's site:
http://www.tgpconsulting.com/articles/check.html

HTML/XML
Richard Ishida's paper "Localisation Considerations in DTD Design"
http://www.xerox-emea.com/globaldesign/dtds.htm

I18n specific to XML you can look at:
http://www.opentag.com/xmli18nfaq.htm#loc_dtdguide
http://www.opentag.com/xmli18nfaq.htm#loc_docguide

Examples of problematic XML documents (and workarounds) see:
http://www.opentag.com/xmli18nfaq.htm#loc_bad

"16 steps to globalising your website"
http://www.etranslate.com/en/know/know.T3.html

http://www.sapient.com/pdfs/strategic_viewpoints/globalization_a4.pdf
http://www.rubric.com/local/handbooks.html
http://www.tri.sbc.com/hfweb/marcus/hfweb00_marcus.html
http://www.uniscape.com/globalization/whitepaper.html

http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/ittasks/plan/sysplan/glolocal.asp?frame=true

The 'ITS Requirements' document may have a few things for your list,
it's just a draft, but I think it covers some of what you are looking
for. After all one of the deliverables of ITS is a set of guidelines.
(Requires membership in group lisa-its)