RE: Question: multilingual documents

From: Plech¹míd Martin <Martin.Plechsmid@merlin.cz>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 15:56:49 +0200
To: www-international@w3.org

> This seems much better to me:
>
>   <item>
>     <catid>C-2353J</catid>
>     <description>
>         <xml:lang="en-US">This great summer tire
>     [...]</xml:lang>
>         <xml:lang="en-GB">This great summer tyre
>     [...]</xml:lang>
>         <xml:lang="fr">Cet excellent pneu d'été
>     [...]</xml:lang>
>     </description>
>   </item>

I suppose you meant something like

  <item>
    <catid>C-2353J</catid>
    <description>
        <text xml:lang="en-US">This great summer tire
    [...]</text>
        <text xml:lang="en-GB">This great summer tyre
    [...]</text>
        <text xml:lang="fr">Cet excellent pneu d'été
    </description>
  </item>

The main disadvantage of this would be, in my opinion, that description
would be defined, usually, as allowing textual content only, no elements.
Then, this would violate the schema.

Of course, I can define my own schemas and allow multilingual extensions.
But I'm forced to use schemas created by someone else who didn't care about
i18n, and I'm looking for the best way how to integrate with them.

	Martin.