Language support in Solaris

From: souravm <souravm@infy.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:28:46 +0530
To: "W3intl (E-mail)" <www-international@w3.org>
Hi All,

I have a doubt regarding the language support in Solaris OS. According to my understanding from 2.6 onwards Solaris OS is internationalised. If a Solaris OS has a support for locale(s) specific for a language it can be used for that language. Hence there is no need to have a language specific OS. To be precise, if I have a Solaris OS which can presently support English only, I can make it to support Japanese language once I install the proper option pack for the corresponding locale (related to Japanese language).

Now the doubt is if this is the case then why there are versions of Solaris like - Simplified Chinese Solaris 7 Operating Environment, Japanese Solaris 7 Operating Environment, etc. ?

Regards,
Sourav