Re: Problem input Arabic text in HTML form using UTF-8 and Netscape

From: <Yoshito_Umaoka@lotus.co.jp>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:15:20 -0500
To: "Mislav Kos" <mkos@us.ibm.com>
Cc: www-international@w3.org
>Unfortunately, UTF-8 is a relatively new encoding with limited support in
>older browser versions. For example, when I open the HTML file included
in
>this email below in my 4.72 Netscape browser, the text that's shown in
the
>HTML form is incorrect. The text right above it, on the other hand, is
>correct. Furthermore, if you try to type Arabic into the text field,
you'll
>get incorrect letters.

You need to set proper fonts for Unicode encoding on Netscape 4.x.
By default, they are all Latin fonts in Netscape English version.

On Netscape 4.7x, you can change fonts used for UTF-8 pages by
following steps.

1. Select [Edit - Preferences...] from the menu
2. In the "Preferences" dialog box, select "Appearance - Fonts" on
   the category tree displayed left side.
3. Select "Unicode" at "For the Encoding" field
4. Set proper fonts in "Variable Width Font" and "Fixed Width Font"
   fields.

Set a font which can display Arabic text to the Arabic text section
by style sheet might resolve this configuration issue.

-Yoshito Umaoka