Re: Euro mess (Was: valid locales ---> was bilingual websites

David,
However, when I am in Germany I would like to see the catalog in the
English Language as spoken in the US, but I still buy it locally and do
not want the American prices but the local German prices.

Then what?

I don't think there is a good answer....
tex

David_Possin@i2.com wrote:

> I agree, the currency and its symbol may not change when you change a
> locale, unless it is a product feature. A catalog for instance could
> provide the prices in the correct currency of the user's locale, for
> example. When you change your locale the prices show up in that
> countries currency.
>
> The formatting change of the displayed currency depending on the
> locale is a different issue. What triggers the change of the display
> format? The language or the country or the currency or a mix of these?
> Example:
>
> I am in the US with my PC set to en_US locale and I  looking at a
> German catalog with German prices and German language descriptions,
> actually a German website. How should the prices be displayed?
>
> DEM 1,234.00 because of my en_US locale setting?
> or
> 1.234,00 DEM because it is a German web page?
>
> Getting the catalog in snail mail was easier, a German catalog has
> German formatting. We have been discussing this issue for a year now
> and have found no definite decision, yet.
>
> I am sending the reply to the locales group
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/locales because we are discussing these
> issues there as well.
>
> David Possin
>
>  "Carrasco Benitez Manuel"
>  <Manuel.Carrasco@emea.eu.int>(by way          To:
>  of Martin Duerst <duerst               www-international@w3.org
>  Sent by:                                      cc:
>  www-international-request@w3.org              Subject:        RE:
>                                        Euro mess (Was: valid locales
>  11/15/01 12:49 AM                     ---> was    bilingual websites
>
> [CARRASCO]
> Local *must not* change the currency symbol. For example,
> if a text with the local England contain 」100.-, it must
> not change to $100.- when the local is changed to USA.
>
> Formating could change. For example, for some local X,
> it could change to 100」. The key aspect is that only the
> presentation is changed, but not the meaning: "please
> transfer 100 British Pounds; not USA dollars or
> Liras/Libras of country Y".
>
> So in the case of the Euro Symbol, there are/will be
> conventions for the different local how to format it:
> in front, at the back or other aspects such as joined to
> the first figure.
>
> Regarding encoding, users would choose whatever they like
> and can use with their available systems.
>
> If am encoding HTML in ISO-8859-1, I will use "&euro;" as
> it is makes the HTML source more readable that is I use
> "&#8364;" or "&#x20A1;". Also less error prone, for example
> the previous hex code is the "Colon" (C with to bars that
> it could be considere an over-artistic Euro Symbol). The
> Euro is "&#x20AC".
>
> Aspects that deal with the calculation of the euro are
> outside the scope of this list.
>
> Regards
> Tomas
>
> [BROWN]
> [...]

Tex Texin                    Director, International Business
mailto:Texin@Progress.com    Tel: +1-781-280-4271
the Progress Company         Fax: +1-781-280-4655
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the
one I've never tried before."- -Mae West