RE: Abbreviations

From: <David_Possin@i2.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:47:47 -0600
To: "Suzanne M. Topping" <stopping@bizwonk.com>
Cc: www-international@w3.org, www-international-request@w3.org
see below

David Possin

-- CHOP --

Gladys originally asked:

>* If this abbreviations or product names are not translated,
>should I take them out of the resource bundle and hard code
>them? Or should I leave them in the resource bundle? The
>likelihood of translating these names in the near future
>is very low, probably lower than the likelihood of
>translators translating them by mistake.

- Not sure what countries you are going into, but perhaps it would be a
- comfort to remember that the tendency in a variety of languages is to
- leave product names in English anyway. So while you may view it as a
- problem to have an English name and abbreviation, the end impact may not
- be that horrendous, depending on where you are going.

I insist on them being externalized in any case - marketing changes names
and abbreviations here every 6 months, at least ..... it makes staying up
to date easier. Good practice for legal text like copyright etc. too.