RE: valid locales ---> was Re: bilingual websites

From: Suzanne M. Topping <stopping@bizwonk.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:23:25 -0500
To: <www-international@w3.org>, "Nelocsig (E-mail)" <nelocsig@yahoogroups.com>
Questions about this topic came up recently on another list, and caused
me to wonder if it might be "better" to offer user selectable options
for various locale-related functions, rather than trying to devise what
individual preferences or requirements might be?
For example, UIs could default to the language used by the operating
system, and could start with "default" formatting etc. settings based on
the OS as well. But perhaps for optimal user satisfaction, we should
offer dropdowns next to date, time, currency, address, title etc. fields
which would allow users to choose how they wanted data displayed, and
have the formats changed on the fly.