Re: valid locales ---> was Re: bilingual websites

From: Tex Texin <texin@progress.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:57:16 -0500
To: David_Possin@i2.com
CC: Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com>, www-international@w3.org
David,

FWIW, I thoroughly agree that locales as we currently define and
implement them, do not work.
As a naming convention it is inadequate, and when you select a name, you
are not sure what behavior you will get.

I have mentioned this before, and the response is always "Yes, it's
broken, but it is the best we have at the moment.".

It is rather unfortunate that we have this methodology therefore, and
that it is accepted, since it won't be fixed as long as this response
continues.

tex

Tex Texin                    Director, International Business
mailto:Texin@Progress.com    Tel: +1-781-280-4271
the Progress Company         Fax: +1-781-280-4655