Re: bilingual websites

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 01:55:19 -0500
To: www-international@w3.org
2001-10-29 21:59:20, Barry Caplan <bcaplan@i18n.com>:

>> I think it's always nice to obey the language setting for
>> those who did set it. But I also agree with Car that this is
>> not set that often.
>
> Does anyone have any real statistics from various types of
> sites indicating when this is set and when it isn't?

Most browsers default to the locale/regional settings for the list
of languages used in 'Accept-Language'. This means for example
that people in the US, with the US version of Windows and Internet
Explorer, will have 'Accept-Language'. People in Norway, with
Norwegian versions of these programs will have language set to
Norwegian. Generally, 'Accept-Language' is very often set.

But you *should* always have links to different language versions
of the Web pages.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer