ANSI to UTF-8 conversion

From: Marek Mahdal \(marekk\) <marekk@sk.e-group.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:22:50 +0200
To: <www-international@w3.org>
Hi all,
   please excuse me for offtopic discussion, but I am helpless by solving a
problem with Unicode (UTF-8) encoding.
I am developing a multi-lingual website and want to implement japanese,
russian, and many other languages, which are supported by UTF-8.
The japanse translator sent me the japan texts in ANSI form.

Example 1:

Cancel = "ƒLƒƒƒ“ƒZƒ‹" so, when using japanese encoding, the text displays
right. e.i.:

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=shift-jis" http-equiv=Content-Type>
</head>
Cancel: ƒLƒƒƒ“ƒZƒ‹

But when using UTF-8 encoding (instead of shift-jis) it's not displayd
correctly.
To dyplay it correctly, there must be in form:

Example 2:

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv=Content-Type>
</head>
Japanese text: 私はガラスを食べられます。それは私を
傷つけません。

Please can somebody give me instructions how to transfer the text form from
the Example 1 to Example 2 ? That means, have to display e.i. "Cancel" in
japan using UTF-8 ?
Thank you.

Marek Mahdal