Time Zones in Searches

From: Eric Kreiser <ekreiser@knowledgeplanet.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:12:03 -0400
To: "Www-International-w3c-org (E-mail)" <www-international@w3.org>
Is there a standard/commonly accepted way to search dates with time zones.

I am developing an application that I need to store all dates relative to
time zone.  (Using Oracle 8i as a database)
When the user enters the information, before storing it to the database, I
convert all date/times to UTC (I need a consistent/comparable date/time).

Now the problem, when the user is searching based on these dates
----Is it common to have the user specify a time zone relative to the
date/times on the search screen???
----Or, is it common to have the user just enter a date/time on the search
screen and return items that occurred on that date/time irregardless of time
zone???

Is anyone doing anything similar?  Any suggestions/comments,etc... are
welcome.