Re: ZWJ and Turkish

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:03:46 -0400
To: Roozbeh Pournader <roozbeh@sharif.edu>
CC: Unicode List <unicode@unicode.org>, www-international@w3.org
Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> I was wondering how should a standard compliant engine render
> in a font that has the 'fi' ligature:
> 1) What do you mean? It is Turkish! "fi" should never be ligated in
> Turkish...
> 2) But can't you see the ZWJ? I'm explicitly asking for the ligature. I
> need it!

IMHO the ZWJ should be honored under the principle of subsidiarity.
After all, the Turkish text could be part of an article on typography.

Not to perambulate             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    the corridors               || http://www.reutershealth.com
during the hours of repose     || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
    in the boots of ascension.  \\ Sign in Austrian ski-resort hotel