RE: utf-8 Locale support on Solaris and Linux

From: Paul Deuter <Paul.Deuter@plumtree.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:51:56 -0700
To: "Richard, Francois M" <Francois.M.Richard@usa.xerox.com>, <www-international@w3.org>
UTF-8 is not a locale.  UTF-8 is a multi-byte encoding of the
Unicode repetoire of characters.

The behavior of the standard C functions depends on the
compiler and the system that you are using.

In order to get standard cross-platform support for
Unicode strings, I recommend using the ICU library.

http://www-124.ibm.com/icu/

-Paul

Paul Deuter
Internationalization Manager