Re: Unicode character names

From: <Peter_Constable@sil.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:53:30 -0500
To: www-international@w3.org

On 08/26/2001 10:31:02 AM Chris Lilley wrote:

>> My question is this. Is PERIOD outdated?
>
>No.

This may be misleading, and so deserves some clarification: what Mark, Mike
and Martin have all said is correct. This is a valid alias, but is not
preferred among other aliases. It is upper cased in order to reflect that
it was the normative name in Unicode 1.0. As a normative name for the
character, PERIOD is outdated. As merely an alias, however, it is still
valid.

>> Is it correct to refer to this
>> character (.) as "full stop, dot, or decimal point, and NOT period"?
>> (Or is PERIOD capitalized to show it is the best alias?)
>
>It is capitalized to show trhat it is the preferred name, yes.

No, that is not correct. It is capitalised only to show that it used to be
the normative name in Unicode 1.0. That is all that the capitalisation
means.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>